Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Scrapbooking and the Passive Commute

Like other activities that start with the letter "s", I think about scrapbooking more than I actually do it. But I think that's a good thing. Scrapbooking seems to be one of those "crafts" (and I'm not sure scrapbooking really is a craft - more on that in a future post) that require more planning on the front end than in the execution - afterall the "execution" tends to be just pasting pictures, paper and a few trinkets on paper.

And that's really lucky for me because I don't have a lot of time to sit down and make pages. Many people comment to me that they don't see how I have time to scrapbook since I have a full-time job, two small kids and a household to run. Those people are observant - I don't have a lot of time to scrapbook or really to do much of anything outside of my full-time job, two small kids and a household to run. So you ask - how do I do it? Now aside from avoiding housework at all costs - because cooking, cleaning and laundry for a family of 4 can really sap away a perfectly good day - I get lots of good scrapbook planning done at my creative space away from home - the metro train. I have a 25 minute commute to work by metro train - a so-called passive commute - and I find that using this "me" time is a great way to come up with ideas, read craft magazines and otherwise be productive. It works for me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog. This post was really funny.
    I hope you find more time to scrap. I'm in a bit of a hiatus work-wise right now and one of the best things about it is more time to SB!!!

    ReplyDelete