Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scrapbook Conventions - Yes or No

So I would label myself a pretty avid scrapbooker. After all I have a blog about scrapbooking. I have a lot of scrapbooking stuff, and I even scrapbook from time to time. So I think maybe it's time for me to go to a scrapbook convention. There are several in my area that I've had my eye on for the last couple of years, but to be honest I'm not sure I'm a convention type of scrapper. All the matching outfits, funny hats, and pink gives me a sorority girl vibe that starts to make the college radical in me a little uncomfortable.

But it sure looks like fun. So these are the conventions I'm thinking about:

The Great American Scrapbook Convention being held in Chantilly, VA - This convention is more or less being held in my backyard, so I definitely think this would be a fun one to attend. This convention offers a lot of workshops, but there also appear to be a lot of make and takes that are included in the registration fee. So I wonder which would give me more bang for the buck. I love to learn new techniques and make things, but I'm sure I'm going to want to shop and find out about new products. Decisions, decisions

Creating Keepsakes Convention in Valley Forge, PA - This is another pretty local convention for me. I've considered going to this one for the last couple of years, but work and other commitments have made it impossible. This year might work. Again, I wonder if the classes are important, or would the convention be enough.

Creative Escape 2009 - This sounds really nice, but it's in Arizona - not exactly around the corner and it's the most expensive of the conventions I'm considering. But it does sound really, really nice. I might think about this one next year, depending on how I like one of the more local ones I'm considering for this year.

So what do you think? Have you ever been to a convention? Have you ever been to one of these conventions? Let me know. I'd love to hear some opinions from my fellow scrapbookers.

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to one but it does look fun! They never have any in the city where I live and the closest city that you might find one would be like 4 hours away in Atlanta, GA. I also think that for the money it'd cost to go...I'd just buy scrapbook stuff! I think if I had a close friend that scrapbooked it'd be GREAT to go with a friend!! So if I had a scrapbooking friend I might think about having a road trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I live on an Island near Savannah, GA! People come down here to see Paula Deen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to the Great American Scrapbook Convention in Texas every year since 2003 and it is really fun! I usually go the first day (Thursday) as it is less crowded. Some years I have taken classes, other years no classes. You can have a good time either way. I highly recommend attending, especially with it being so close!

    I have heard the Valley Forge convention is pretty good, as it is well established at this point and there aren't a lot of opportunities for the East Coast scrappers. You could also head to that one.

    I have not been to Creative Escape but have had friends go. It is good but at TWICE the registration price of any other event of its type (CKU, Scrap Etc., and on), I can't justify it to myself. And that price is before travel and the very expensive hotel where it is at and I'm sure charges you all kinds of extras. You can buy a lot of scrap stuff for the almost $800 registration fee, never mind the travel costs. You could get a Cricut Expression machine ($250) and at least another 12-14 cartridges to go with it for that price.

    Did you want such a thorough opinion? LOL!

    have fun no matter what you do! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved CKC in KC last year. So much so I'm going to Valley Forge in July this year. I am meeting a friend who I use to crop with. I think you have to take classes. I didn't think I took enough last time. This time I'm taking 8!!! Totally look forward to it, you'd enjoy it.

    I agree withe comment on CE, very expensive and you really could buy a lot at the conventions for that in your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete